Metis was engaged by Kiwi Solar Farms to assess flood risk at a site they were considering for development of a large solar farm it the Waikato region. The site was adjacent to the Piako River and at potentially significant risk of flooding.
- Reviewed site topography and flood mechanisms
- Obtained relevant background flood data from Waikato Regional Council
- Review and summarise relevant local, regional and national policy and guidance documents
- Analysed flood level data to derive potential flood depth maps for available scenarios
- Reviewed upstream stormwater runoff, identified overland flow paths, site entry points and impacts on proposals
- Make recommendations for site development footprint and relocation of key infrastructure to manage flood risk
Kiwi Solar Farms benefited from Metis’ work in several ways.
- Detailed understanding of flood risk to the site from the Piako River and overland flow from upstream properties
- Assessment of potential flood impacts on proposed site layout and recommended changes to better manage risks
- Understanding of relevant compliance requirements for flood risk
- Informed overall site feasibility assessment