With their road maintenance budget coming under pressure, South Gloucestershire appointed Metis to utilise investment modelling techniques to build a business case to defend the budget.
- Work closely with each authority to understand the current maintenance strategies and historic performance of their carriageways, footways, drainage, street lighting, traffic signals and road structure assets.
- Utilise Metis’ investment modelling tool to model the implications of different budget scenarios on the future condition and the need for reactive maintenance on all road assets.
- Develop a robust business case using the modelling results to articulate the consequences of funding cuts to decision-makers.
Through this project, the authorities have:
- Identified the needs-based budget for all road assets.
- Quantified the maintenance backlog against a realistic target level of service.
- Used the business case to keep current road maintenance budgets in contrast with forecasted budget reductions.