Funding was granted to the London Borough of Redbridge to investigate the flood mechanisms and identify potential flood mitigation options at Westwood Recreation Ground on the Seven Kings Water river. Metis was commissioned by Redbridge to complete modelling work and develop potential options.
- Work closely with Redbridge officers and the Environment Agency to get a full understanding of the area and the history of flooding
- Identify a wide range of initial options and assess using the Initial Assessment approach
- Prepare and submit the Strategic Outline Case to the Environment Agency
- Develop and enhance Integrated Urban Drainage (IUD) Model to understand local flood mechanisms
- Prepare a shortlist of options and appraise based on potential to reduce flood risk, enhance amenity and environmental quality of the Recreation Ground
- Recommend a preferred flood mitigation option based on feasibility and keeping with the project objectives
Redbridge benefited from Metis’ work in several ways:
- A model was built taking account of both fluvial and surface water flooding. This model closely replicated both the extent and timing of a June 2016 flood event
- Identification of a long list of options which was further refined into a shortlist of options
- An Option Assessment Report was prepared and appraised the options based on flood damages avoided, wider benefits and cost of each option.
- Recommendations on how to proceed with the project were made